ALL ABOUT ASSAM
BASIC FACTS ABOUT ASSAM
- State: 26 January 1950
- Capital: Dispur
- Number of District:33
- Governor: Jagdish Mukhi
- Chief Minister: Sarbananda Sonowal
- High court: Gauhati High Court
- Chief Justice: Ajai Lamba (Took oath on 07 Oct 2019)
- Members of the Legislative Assembly: 126
- Lok Sabha Seats:14
- Rajya Sabha Seats:7
BOUNDARIES OF ASSAMThe state is bordered by Bhutan and Arunachal Pradesh to the north; Nagaland and Manipur to the east; Meghalaya, Tripura, Mizoram, and Bangladesh to the south; and West Bengal to the west via the Siliguri Corridor.
Also Read: MAJULI: THE LARGEST RIVER ISLAND
STATE SYMBOLS OF ASSAM
- State Animal: Indian rhinoceros.
- State Bird: White-winged duck.
- State Flower: Foxtail orchid.
- State Tree: Hollong.
MAJOR DAMS OF ASSAMSubansiri Dam: The Subansiri dam also known as Subansiri Lower Dam is an under-construction gravity dam across the Subansiri River at the border of Assam and Arunachal Pradesh.
GENERAL FACTS OF ASSAM
- Assam is often called“The land of Red River(the Brahmaputra is called Lohit in Assamese) and blue hills (the Eastern Himalayan range)”.
- The longest bridge of India Dhola-Sadiya Bridge is built on the Lohit river which is an important tributary of mighty river Brahmaputra. The length of this bridge is 9.15 Km. This bridge connects Sadiya ghat on the Assam side and Dhola ghat on the Arunachal Pradesh side. This bridge was named after legendaryBhupen Hazarikawho was born in Sadiya of Assam.
- Kaziranga National Park is world-famous for one horn rhinos and elephants.
- The state has the largest population of the wild water buffalo in the world.
- The state has the highest diversity of birds in India with around 820 species.
- The mighty river the Brahmaputra is also popularly known as the lifeline of Assam.
- It is the first state in the country where crude oil was struck in 1889 at Digboi.
- Dispur is also famous for the Guwahati Tea Auction Centre (GTAC). GTAC was established in 1970 and is one of the busiest tea trading centers in the world.
- Assam contributes 15.6 % of the World’s Tea Production and 55 % of India’s Production.
- Kamakhya temple is located on the Nilachal hill of Guwahati. It is an ancient and very famous Hindu temple devoted to goddess Kamakhya (one of the incarnations of goddess Durga).
- Jhum farming is the widely practiced occupation of almost all the peasants of Assam.
- The state is also known for one of its kind Assamese golden silk called MUGA which is produced only in Assam.
FESTIVALS OF ASSAM
- Bihu: Bihu is the most important festival of Assam. Three Bihus are celebrated in a year: Bohag Bihu,, Kaati Bihu, and Magh Bihu.
- Baishagu: This festival is commonly celebrated by the tribe of 'Boro Kacharis' of Assam.
- Ambubachi Festival.
- Majuli Festival.
- Dehing Patkai Festival.
DANCES OF ASSAM
- Ankia Naat.
- Bihu dance.
- Kushan nritra.
- Banjar Kekan.
- Mishing Bihu.
IMPORTANT NATIONAL PARK AND WILDLIFE SANCTUARIES IN ASSAM
- Kaziranga National Parks
- Manas National Parks
- Rajiv Gandhi National Parks
- Orang National Parks
- Dibru National Park
- Nameri National Park
- Bura Chapori Wildlife Sanctuary
- Bornadi Wildlife Sanctuary
- Pobitora Wildlife Sanctuary
- Chakrashila Wildlife Sanctuary
GI TAGS OF ASSAM
- Muga Silk of Assam
- Joha Rice of Assam
- Assam Karbi Anglong Ginger
- Joha Rice
- Tezpur Litchi
UNESCO WORLD HERITAGE SITES IN ASSAM
- Manas Wildlife Sanctuary: 1985.
- Kaziranga National Park: 1985.
FAMOUS PLACES IN ASSAM
- Kamakhya Temple
- Umananda Temple
- Srimanta Sankardev Kalakshetra
- Assam State Zoo cum Botanical Garden
- Basistha temple
- Mahabhairav Temple
FAMOUS PERSONS OF ASSAM
- Seema Biswas: is the popular Hindi film actress who got birth in the Nalbari district of Assam. She gained popularity for the role of Phoolan Devi in the film “Bandit Queen” in 1994.
- Bhupen Hazarika: is the famous musician, singer, lyricist and film director who got birth in Sadiya of Assam in 1926.
- Arnab Goswami: is the popular news journalist and anchor on channel Times Now. He was born in Guwahati.
- Hem Barua: was the famous poet who belonged to Tezpur of Assam. He won the Lok Sabha seat from Guwahati in 1957 and 62.
- Somdev Devbarman: the popular Tennis player who got birth in Guwahati of Assam.
- Tarali Sharma: is the famous female playback singer.
- Zubeen Garg: is the famous Assamese and Hindi film, playback singer.